When it comes to comfort food, few recipes can rival air fryer bacon wrapped chicken thighs This mouth-watering dish encapsulates the best of home cooking – familiar yet exciting, simple yet full of flavor.
Each time I prepare this recipe, it brings delight not just to me but to the whole dining table. It’s the kind of dish that turns a normal dinner into a special occasion kind of meal. If you love chicken, bacon, or honey – or better yet, all three – this is one recipe you must try.
Why You Will Love These Chicken Thighs
I’m confident that you will absolutely adore this bacon wrapped chicken thighs recipe, and let me tell you why.
First off, who can resist the delicious combination of tender, juicy chicken, sweet honey, and smoky bacon? The chicken, coated in a unique blend of spices, gets a deep, savory flavor that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the honey.
Plus, the aroma – oh, the aroma! As the chicken roasts, the smell that fills your kitchen is enough to make your mouth water in anticipation. It’s the kind of smell that brings everyone to the table without even having to call them.
At first glance, you might see a typical roast chicken dish, but when the aromatic smokiness of bacon mingles with the rich sweetness of honey, you realize you’re about to dive into a taste experience that’s anything but ordinary!
- Oven: Essential for roasting the chicken.
- Mixing bowl: Useful for preparing the honey glaze.
- Disposable food prep gloves: Helpful for handling and marinating the chicken.
- Basting brush: Ideal for applying oil to the grill and basting the chicken.
- Toothpicks: You need these to secure the bacon wraps around the chicken thighs, keeping them in shape while cooking.
- Chicken thighs: Chicken thighs are juicy and tender, perfect for this recipe. You can also use chicken breast if you prefer.
- Smoked bacon: Bacon adds an extra layer of flavor and a delightful crunch.
- For the seasoning mixture and glaze:
- Rosemary: This aromatic herb enhances the overall flavor profile.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder adds a robust, earthy flavor.
- Ground pepper: Adds mild heat to the chicken.
- Kosher salt: Brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Red pepper powder: Gives the chicken a spicy touch.
- Dried oregano: Adds a hint of sweetness and a slight peppery note.
- Roasted sesame seeds: These seeds contribute a pleasing crunch and a nutty flavor.
- Annatto oil: This oil is used in the marinade to help incorporate all the flavors. It also gives the chicken a more vibrant color.
- Honey: Honey provides a subtle sweetness and helps achieve a golden glaze on the chicken.
- Olive oil: This oil is used for making the honey glaze and preventing the chicken from sticking to the grill.
Step 1: Season The Chicken
To start, you’ll need to season the chicken. Create a mixture using kosher salt, ground pepper, red pepper powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, olive oil, and a tablespoon of honey. Next, sprinkle in some rosemary for an aromatic touch.
Ensure the chicken is thoroughly coated in this mixture, paying special attention to getting some under the skin. This allows the flavor to penetrate deeply into the meat. Set your seasoned chicken aside.
Step 2: Wrap The Chicken In Bacon
Carefully wrap each chicken thigh with two slices of bacon. Once wrapped, secure the bacon to the chicken using a toothpick. This not only keeps the bacon in place as it shrinks while cooking but also adds a visually appealing touch to your dish.
Step 3: Roast The Chicken
With the chicken prepped, it’s time to roast. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 200 degrees Celsius), ensuring a stable temperature from the onset of cooking.
To prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill, give it a light oil coating with a basting brush.
Once done, place the wrapped chicken on the grill and pop it in the oven. Let it cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
During this time, prepare a basting mixture with olive oil, roasted sesame seeds, and a tablespoon of honey. This is your glazing sauce.
After 15 minutes, take the chicken out of the oven and brush it with the glazing sauce. Flip the chicken thighs over, and return them to the oven.
For the next phase of roasting, reduce the temperature to 356 degrees Fahrenheit (or about 180 degrees Celsius) and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
At this point, your kitchen should be filled with the irresistible aroma of roasting meat. You can utilize this time to prepare a simple side dish. A suggestion would be a blend of boiled curly kale, air-fryer potatoes, and zucchini, tossed with some mayonnaise.
I’ll list a couple more of my favorite accompaniments below, so remember to check them out!
Step 4: Finishing the Dish
Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and serve it hot with the prepared salad on the side. And there you have it – a savory and delicious dish of bacon wrapped chicken thighs, ready for you to enjoy.
Cook The Chicken Using An Air Fryer
If using an oven is not convenient, an air fryer serves as an excellent alternative for this recipe.
Step 1: Preheat the Air Fryer
First, you should preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit for a consistent cooking environment for the chicken.
While your air fryer is heating up, prep your chicken thighs as per the recipe. Wrap each chicken thigh with bacon, securing it with a toothpick if needed.
Step 2: Place The Chicken Into The Air Fryer Basket
Once the air fryer is heated, carefully place your prepared chicken thighs in the basket. Make sure they’re not overlapping, which allows the heat to be evenly distributed, leading to uniformly cooked chicken.
Step 3: Air-Fry The Chicken
Let the chicken thighs cook for about 10 minutes. This gives the chicken a good head start and begins to render out some of the fat. After 10 minutes, flip the chicken thighs over and brush them with the glazing sauce.
Cook the chicken thighs for 10-12 minutes more. It’s important to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Note: Cooking times can vary depending on your specific air fryer model, so be sure to check the chicken periodically and adjust the cooking time as necessary.
Tips And Tricks
- The proportion of the spices used in the marinade has been planned to ensure optimal flavor for the chicken. However, cooking often requires a personal touch, so adjust the quantities based on your personal preferences.
- When using honey in the glaze, less is more. An excess of honey can cause the chicken to burn in the oven, an outcome that should be avoided for the best results.
- To ensure that your chicken thighs develop that beautifully crispy skin, remember to pat them dry before you begin the seasoning process.
- A meat thermometer is an amazing tool for checking the chicken’s doneness. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. Aim for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for perfectly cooked chicken.
How To Store The Dish
For short-term storage, simply place the roast chicken thighs in airtight containers and refrigerate. They will stay good for up to four days.
If you’d like to store the dish for a longer period, freezing is a great option. When stored properly in a freezer-safe, airtight container, the chicken can last up to four months in the freezer.
When you’re ready to enjoy the dish again, defrost the frozen chicken in the fridge for a night and then reheat gently. For the best results, reheat in an oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Chicken Choices: For a leaner option, you can opt to use skinless or boneless chicken thighs. Just note that you might need to slightly adjust the cooking time. I recommend taking about 10 to 15 minutes from the roasting time.
- Spice Swap: Substitute the oregano and rosemary with other spices, such as smoked paprika, thyme, or a pinch of curry powder, for a different flavor profile.
- Vegetable Addition: Add root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, or parsnips to the roasting tray. They’ll cook in the chicken juices and develop a delectable flavor.
- Different Sweeteners: Consider using maple syrup or brown sugar instead of honey for a subtle change in sweetness.
- Citrus Twist: Add a squeeze of lemon or orange juice to the marinade for a bright, tangy flavor that contrasts beautifully with the rich chicken and bacon.
- Heat Factor: If you like a bit of heat, add a little cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce to the marinade.
Side Dish Suggestions
- Roasted Vegetables: Enhance the hearty flavors of this succulent dish with an assortment of roasted veggies. Root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and parsnips are a great choice. You can roast them alongside the chicken.
- Green Salad: For a light and fresh counterpoint to the richness of the chicken and bacon, consider serving a crisp green salad. Arugula or mixed greens with a simple vinaigrette would be a great choice.
- Grilled Asparagus or Green Beans: Grilled or roasted green veggies like asparagus or green beans would make a nice side dish, providing a slight crunch and freshness.
- Mashed Potatoes: These are a classic choice. The rich, smooth texture of the potatoes is a perfect match for the flavorsome chicken.
- Rice or Quinoa: A fluffy bed of rice or quinoa can soak up the wonderful juices from the chicken and bacon, making it a delightful accompaniment.
- Coleslaw: A tangy, crunchy coleslaw can provide a refreshing contrast to the savory chicken and bacon.
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes To Try
- Vietnamese Caramelized Chicken: This dish, also known as Ga Kho, is a delicious Vietnamese recipe where chicken is bathed in a sweet and savory caramel sauce. It’s typically served with steamed rice for a satisfying meal.
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken: This is a healthier version of the popular Chinese take-out dish, where the chicken is air fried instead of deep-fried, then coated in a tangy, sweet, and slightly spicy orange sauce.
- Hainanese Chicken Rice: This is a well-loved dish from Hainan province in southern China, popular in numerous Asian countries. The chicken is gently poached, resulting in tender, juicy meat, while the rice is cooked in the chicken broth, absorbing all its rich flavors.
- Fried Chicken With Rice: Simple yet satisfying, this dish features crispy, golden fried chicken served alongside fluffy, aromatic rice. You can pair it with plenty of sauces or gravies to suit your taste.
Fans Of Chicken And Bacon Assemble!
I hope you’re excited to try these roast chicken thighs at home. Remember, cooking is about having fun and enjoying the process. So experiment with the ingredients and make this recipe truly your own!
I’m super eager to hear your thoughts on today’s recipe. Did you make any changes? How did it turn out? Please drop a comment below – your feedback means a lot! And if you enjoyed this recipe, please like and share it with your loved ones. They will adore it as much as you do.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories411
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 7.4g 35%
- Cholesterol 95mg 32%
- Sodium 676mg 29%
- Potassium 59mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 4%
- Sugars 8.9g
- Protein 20.7g 40%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Table of Contents
- Why You Will Love These Chicken Thighs
- Cook The Chicken Using An Air Fryer
- Tips And Tricks
- How To Store The Dish
- Note-Worthy Variations
- Side Dish Suggestions
- Other Delicious Chicken Recipes To Try
- Fans Of Chicken And Bacon Assemble!
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs
- Nutrition Facts