Air fryer chicken fried steak is the simplest way to cook this classic Southern delicacy. Thinly sliced steaks are dredged in a spice-infused batter, then fried to golden perfection. Unlike the deep-fry method, the air fryer provides a nearly mess-free cooking experience.
Additionally, you can make this recipe from scratch in just 20 minutes. Serve it with your favorite side dish for a wholesome and healthy meal that every family member can enjoy. I’m sure that the recipe will soon become your go-to dish for weeknight dinners!
What Is Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
Although there’s “chicken” in the name, this signature American dish contains no chicken. Instead, people cook it with tenderized steaks. Rounding off the eating experience is a white, spice-infused gravy.
The recipe bears great resemblance to Wiener schnitzel, an Austrian delicacy. According to various sources, the European immigrants living in Texas in the 19th century were the ones who brought this dish to America.
The traditional preparation process starts with coating the cutlet in a seasoned flour mixture. The steaks are then deep-fried until crispy. However, you’ll use an air fryer for this step, which cuts down on oil usage and extra calories.
My air fryer chicken fried steak only calls for 3 tools. I bet that most of you have already had them.
- Air fryer: Mine is a 5.8-quart air fryer oven combo from a brand called COSORI. The model I use is the Pro I, but feel free to go for the Pro II oven and air fryer combo.
- Saucepan: For making the gravy.
- Mixing bowls: For the dredging station.
- Oil sprayer: Helps you spray oil on the air fryer basket and steaks.
High-quality beefsteak is the most important ingredient you’ll need. In addition, prepare some spices for the batter and gravy.
- Hind quarter steaks: Pound the steaks with a meat tenderizer to soften them. Cube steaks are also a great choice for this recipe.
- Fresh milk: I like the taste and texture of whole milk the best.
- Wheat flour: Any type of all-purpose flour will do the job.
- Butter: Opt for unsalted butter.
- Egg: For dredging the steaks and helping the batter stick better.
- Spices: Garlic, ground pepper, kosher salt, chili powder, garlic powder, brown sugar.
Without further ado, let’s start making some delectable air fryer chicken fried steaks!
Step 1: Make The Dredging Station
Mix the flour with garlic powder, chili powder, and pepper in one bowl. Set aside.
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
Step 2: Dip The Steaks In The Batter
Coat the steaks with the batter and dip them in the beaten eggs. Then, dredge them in the batter one more time to ensure they’re well coated.
Step 3: Cook The Steaks
Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes to stabilize the cooking temperature. Lightly grease the air fryer basket with oil, then put the steaks in.
Spray a little oil on the steaks to help them retain their moisture during frying.
Cook the steaks at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Step 4: Make The Gravy
While waiting for the steaks to cook, make the gravy. Melt some butter in a saucepan, then add the minced garlic. Stir the mixture until fragrant, and pour in the milk. Give the gravy a good stir.
Season your gravy with salt, pepper, sugar, and chili powder. Feel free to adjust the spices to your liking.
Stir well on low heat until the gravy thickens.
Step 5: Present The Dish
Once the steaks are cooked, take them out of the air fryer and slice them into the preferred size.
Arrange the steaks on a plate and drizzle the sauce on top. Garnish with cilantro and serve together with your favorite salad. Enjoy while the dish is still hot!
In this section, I’ll share with you some tips and tricks for perfecting your air fryer chicken fried steaks and storing leftovers.
- For the leftovers, keep the steak and gravy in different airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- When you need to serve the leftovers, reheat them at 400 degrees F for 4 minutes in the air fryer.
- If the breading keeps falling off, try letting the steaks rest for about 10 minutes before air frying.
- Be generous with the cooking oil as it will help the steaks crisp up. Don’t worry, you won’t use nearly as much oil as the deep-fry method.
- If you have trouble with dredging the steaks, use the wet hand, dry hand method. Use one hand (dry hand) to coat the steaks with the flour, and the other hand (wet hand) to pick them up and dip them into the egg.
Enjoy Chicken Fried Steak Without Deep-Frying!
With a crispy exterior and tender interior, chicken fried steak is truly a crowd-pleaser. Moreover, the ease of preparation with an air fryer makes it a convenient option for busy weeknights. It’s a perfect meal for those who want to enjoy a comforting Southern classic with a modern twist.
I hope you enjoy today’s recipe and find it helpful. Please give this post a good rating, share, and comment to let me know your thoughts. All feedback is greatly appreciated and helps me create tastier recipes in the future.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories231
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.2g 22%
- Cholesterol 52mg 18%
- Sodium 625mg 27%
- Potassium 67mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.8g 4%
- Sugars 4.2g
- Protein 19.1g 39%
- Calcium 78%
- Iron 1%
- Vitamin D 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Table of Contents
- What Is Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Enjoy Chicken Fried Steak Without Deep-Frying!
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Nutrition Facts
Leave a Reply