Anyone can make cookies; at first, let’s watch this fun video to see the levels that cooking chefs make delicious chocolate chip cookies. Let me know right now which level are you in and the extraordinary things, bringing the fragrant recipes for you.
As you know, cookies are a brightly colored world that comes in various shapes, sizes, flavors, and colors. Furthermore, the way to eat them will depend on your favorite flavor. Someone love eating them with a cup of milk at breakfast, but others will choose to eat them directly.
The taste combinations are practically limitless. It makes perfect sense for everyone to enjoy them easily. Hence, I believe that you and I, no one among us can resist the freshly baked cookies.
No more wondering, the tantalizing aroma soon drifts through the air from the kitchen, watering your mouth. This sweet-smelling is a great way to bring family members closer, to share the special moments together. The yummiest gift everyone all love, right!
- What Is a Utility Knife Used for: 8 Kitchen Tasks You Can Do With It
- How To Make Popcorn Without A Popcorn Maker?
- How To Keep Pizza Warm For A Party? 13 Easy Methods 2021
- Best Oranges For Juicing At Home
- How To Thicken Spaghetti Sauce: All The Tips You Need To Make An Effective Sauce Thickening
- Cumin – A Must-Have Ingredient For Delectable Dishes In 2021
- Cabbage Vs. Lettuce: Differences, Health Impact, Benefits And More
- Is Wax Paper Oven Safe? – All You Need To Know About Wax Paper
The next day, nothing is more disappointing than somehow the cookies turn into “Rock.” It is not that bad. Don’t worry! This post will help you find ways to save them and prolong the gooey and soft cookies the next time.
Table of Contents
You love the delightful, hot from oven cookies. Unfortunately, many things can go wrong, encountering in your cookies not being as wonderful as others. So, what are the matters? Let’s figure out what’s wrong with these butter mates.
Hard and tough cookies: Normally caused by using too much flour or over-mixing the dough. It inevitably results in the cookies becoming dry and stiff after about 20 minutes of baking.
Uneven baking: The outside of cookies is beautifully brown and crispy, while the inside is still raw. Practically, the baking time is insufficient to cook the cookies inner complete. Meanwhile, the excess butter will crisp up the covering.
Bottom too brown: Everything is excellent except the bottom, which is far too brown. This problem is due to the oven racks absorbing excessive heat, making the cookie’s base burn faster.
Soft and pale cookies: This issue is compounded primarily by the oven temperature and baking time. High temperature and long time will result in dark and crispy cookies, while a lower temperature might lead to light and soft ones with inadequate firmness.
Spread too much: The cookies are more extensive than expected. Moreover, they are thin and flat, which is finding a way to expand in the oven. It could be the dough not being cooled adequately before baking. Or the excessive greasing on the baking rack is another reason.
Cookie stick to the baking tray: Not greasing can cause this issue. Furthermore, after baking, the baked cookies are not completely cool. They can stick on the surface of the tray easily.
Even though cookies are baked perfectly, they still become firmer the following day. It is sad to pick sturdy cookies, and no one wants to bite a “Rock” in the mouth. Hence, which is the signal? Keep reading, my dear!
Everyone wants to savor the crispy and delectable cookies, however, things don’t always go as expected. Numerous minor flaws can cause the cookies to be less than flawless. A tough cookie is one of the most common issues after baking.
Improper storage will also make the cookie no longer crispy and soft. The first sign is that the cookie’s texture becomes harder than it used to be. Especially when you touch the cookie’s surface, you will notice that it might be rough and dry.
Because of leaving it out in the air too long, the cookie’s moisture will evaporate, resulting in hard cookies. Furthermore, it is more difficult to break down than before.
Now, you know what makes your cookie hard, here’s how to soften them back to the hot stunning shape again.
Everyone doesn’t want the homemade cookies to toss in the trash since they got hard, even after putting 110% effort and wasting budget for the ingredients as well. There are some ways to deal with this case.
Mother’s Method: A Slice Of Bread
Yes, you do not hear incorrectly. Believe me! Your mother is more familiar with the kitchen than you are. Follow some steps to get them back.
- Cutting ¼ slice of bread: Laying this bread into the bottom and at the top of the container cookie and then seal it up.
- Let’s wait until 24 hours: At this time, the tough cookie will absorb the moisture from the slice of bread, reviving them into soft and chewy goodness again.
- Try the cookie later: Now, all the cookies have been miraculously re-tenderized. Just enjoy the fresh taste again.
A slice of apple can deal with hard cookies as the same bread, so you implement the steps above to save the cookie. Apple is not only for the apple juice, huh?
Reheating Hard Cookies
Another remedy for hard cookies is using a microwave to return the cookie to the normal state. Let’s see this video to collect more understandings:
- Using the paper tower: Wrapping the paper to cover the surrounding cookie to eliminate the moisture before putting it in the machine
- Wrapping cookie: Place the tough cookie on the plate and cover them with a damp paper towel, wax paper, or parchment paper as well.
- Putting them into the microwave: Just place them around 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- Don’t bake the cookie in the oven again since it will cause them harder even further than the initial.
- Taking them out: Now, the soft and chewy products are ready to serve again.
Fundamental Note: When cookies get hard, everyone tends to soak them into the water. Never do that because the cookies might become worse, like swollen and bloated ones. Will anyone wanna eat “these” cookies?
Would you love to know if there are several better ways of utilizing old cookies? With baking experience over the years, I am delighted to share some remarkable ways to make these cookies even more delicious.
Outrageously Delicious Milkshakes
There are many stale cookies leftover from yesterday’s party. Just use them to satisfy your sweet cravings with a cup of milkshake.
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 3 chocolate chip cookies or Oreo (any kind of cookies)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipped cream
- ½ cup milk
- Chocolate syrup
- Some slice of bananas or strawberry
- Mix cookies, ice cream, and milk in the blender.
- Dribble the chocolate syrup along the side of the glass cup
- Pour the milkshake into the glass cup
- Top the milkshake with whipped cream
- Decorate the glass with some strawberries or slice of bananas or cookie crumbles
Cookie crumb crust, yeah. What a fantastic idea to use stale cookies to make a pie crust! And then cookie crust is used for the base of cheesecake or pies. You will surprise by how easy make it. Follow several steps bellows to make it:
- Plastic bag or food processor
- Rolling pin
- Cling wrap
- 9 inches Pie Pan or Tart pan
- Mixing bowl
- 8 or 12 cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Using the food processor to squash the cookies to a fine crumb
- Or rolling over the cookie bag with a rolling pin
- Melt the butter in a prepared bowl
- Mix the crumb cookie and melt butter in the bow together
- Lay the cling wrap into the pan, the crumb cookie can take out easily after
- Grease the surface before adding the crumb cookies
- Mold the cookie into the prepared pan until getting the thickness desire
- Place on the oven with 3750F for around 10 minutes until the texture is hold
Filling With Chocolate Bark
Another way to give the old cookies new life is to utilize them as a part of the main ingredient in the chocolate bark recipe. Let’s make fancy and chocolaty desserts for parties!
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- Additional: cookie pies, dried fruit, candy, chopped nuts, pretzels, or donuts
- Melt all the chocolate in the microwave, stir until chocolate melt evenly
- Lay the parchment paper into the tray
- Add the melted chocolate into the tray, use a specular to spread the chocolate
- Top with the favorite toppings when the chocolate is still wet
- Chill the finished dessert in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Break into pieces the hardened chocolate
- The chocolate bark is ready to serve
Make Cookie Brownie
Yes, you are. The cookie is an excellent addition to brownies. The combination will give the great deserts that seem to be beyond expectations.
- ¾ 440g Nutella jar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup chocolate chip
- Chopped nut or other fillings
- Preheat oven before baking, and grease brownie pan
- Beat all the prepared ingredients in a bowl till the desired smooth
- Stir the chocolate chip gradually with the prepared dough
- Pour the batter into the brownie pan
- Put it into the oven
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes
- Sit cooling totally before cutting into bars
One more excellent method for transforming old cookies into delectable treats is to make butter. And you will not ever have any problem with stale cookies.
- 2 cup cookie crumb
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl until having a suitable texture
- Shift them into the airtight jar
- Chill the butter in the refrigerator
- Add chopped nuts, cashews, or almonds to the butter ( for chunky taste)
- Enjoy with toast or fresh fruit
Above some magical treats will help you can deal with your issues. As you can see, your stale cookies will not be waste anymore. Try the tricks to make cookies delicious again. If you still have more ways, don’t hesitate to share with me at the below comments.
You might not eat all the homemade cookies in one go. You are perplexed and wondered because you don’t know how to keep them fresh as the initial version to savor them longer. Below are my tips to help you preserve the cookie in better condition.
Some Basic Principle to Remember
There are some tips you need to consider to extend the cookie’s life span.
- Cooling cookie completely: After baking, cool down the cookie for a few minutes because the cooled cookies still have some moisture. Excessive moisture in the storage causes the cookies to end up ruining quickly.
- Stores separately distinguish cookies: Each type of cookie requires different conditions to store. Furthermore, the smell of cookies will be mixed if they stay in the same areas. So, it would be best to keep them separately.
- Don’t put the bag of cookies on a counter: The heat will spread through the kitchen, the moisture in the sealed container turns cookie soggy. So, it is not a great way to keep hot cookies near the counter.
How To Store Cookie
The tender and puffy like chocolate chip or snickerdoodles, sugar cookies, or peanut cookies will maintain their soft texture with a bit of moisture. So the vital factor in preserving them is to lessen airflow from the storage. Hence the cookies will not release water.
Step 1: Allow cookies to cool completely
Step 2: Place cookie in a single layer in a container or zip lock bag, avoiding them sticking together
Step 3: Add a slice of fresh bread to absorb all the excess moisture, preventing it from getting stale.
Step 4: Seal the container tightly, avoid the air entering its inside
Step 5: Close the lid of the container carefully.
Done properly, the cookie will last up to a week so that you can relish them longer with the texture as the same as the initial.
Freeze The Cookies
One simple method to prolong the shelf life of cookies is to freeze them in the refrigerator, preventing the development of mold or bacteria on food.
Step 1: Wrap the cookie: Play them on the tray and cover them with Ziplock to prevent the air get into the inside, which can cause bad for the cookie or make them go stale
Step 2: Cool entirely: Always allow the cookies to be cooled altogether, releasing the hot temperature or moisture after baking
Step 3: Leaving them in the refrigerator: Place the bag into the machine to preserve them for a longer
Step 4: Take out to eat: Lets them defrost thoroughly with safe defrosting tray and can oven again to taste it
They will not stay last forever. And some powdered, frosted cookies or have delicate flavor might not be frozen.
Sometimes, you use the same ingredients and follow precisely the instructions from the cooking chef. However, the results are different. How to cook cookies of various ingredients, type of oven, or even the sugar type significantly will impact the cookie shaping.
Picking The Suitable Sugar
Typically, the sugar will play a role in bringing the mildly crunchy around the edges of the cookie. A little moist in the center and tender all the way through. In addition, sugar is also a determining factor to decide how spread the cookie will be.
The one rule when using sugar: “The higher the sugar, the more cookies spread and the less crumbly they are”
The sugar type will lead to the diversity in flavors, colors, and depth of the cookie. Here are some common sugars you can consider.
- Granulated Sugar: It can be called another name, “white sugar.” It plays a crucial role in adding sweetness to cookies and makes cookies browner and crisper. That is why it appears almost the American cookie recipe.
- Coarse Sugar: It has much larger crystals than regular granulated sugar. As a result, it is used to decorate the outside of cookies by sprinkling them on top (butter cookies, sugar cookies). Thus, it will reflect light and bring the cookie an appealing appearance.
- Light Brown Sugar: It has a small amount of molasses added, giving the caramelized flavor and a soft texture for cookies. Try it with chocolate chip cookies, walnut cookies, or cinnamon cookies.
- Dark Brown Sugar: It has more moisture than light, so it is vital when baking sensitive cookies. For instance, the gingerbread recipes usually call dark brown sugar because their molasses flavor complements the ginger, cinnamon, and clover better.
Choose The Right Flour
Flour is essential in every sweet and cake bakery. Today, you may come across many types of flour out there, such as potato flour, almond flour, cornmeal, or wheat flour,… Its presence will make the cookie more chewy or crunchy, depending on the ratio used.
Add Molasses or Honey
Another way to give moisture to the cookie is that use a tablespoon of molasses in the basic cookie recipe. But don’t use it too much, it can bring sweeter for the cookie, even worse than that the cookie will be runny.
Besides, if you don’t have it at home, honey is a great substitute for molasses.
Double The Yolk
Yes, it is not too much. Commonly, the regular recipe needs at least one egg. You will surprise by the results when trying to do it. One crucial note remembers to beat the egg carefully. More fat from egg whites will keep the cookies moist, chewy and add more depth to the cookie.
Use Butter Or Vegetable Oil
The ingredients will make the dough tenderer richer and fluffier, resulting in the best cookies you want and love.
Try Ultimate Baking “Principles”
It is not easier to bake flawless cookies, here some additionally handy to help you improve your next batch.
Chill Cookie Dough
It will give the best results if you freeze cookie dough for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. It will enhance the flavor and bring a chewier for a cookie. The longer the dough sits in the fridge, the chewier the cookies will be. Watch this video to know more:
Some dough is too sticky to shape some cookies, so you can chill it before rolling into small balls.
Temperature Is A King
It will significantly impact how the cookie spread, in addition, the melted ingredients will define the level of crunchy or chewy cookie.
Oven Temperature: The first thing you need to do is preheat the oven to get the proper temperatures, making sure baking of cookies. Base on each person’s preferences, cookies have to be baked at the appropriate temperatures to achieve the desired texture.
- 3500 F is a standard for making cookies, and it’s a must for all recipes. When baking cookies at this temperature, the inside and outside are both done.
- You love the softer outside and want to feel the chewier inside cookies, so 3250 F is suitable. At this rate, the cookies will also retain more moisture.
- Whereas 3750 F will make cookies have crisp edges and maintain a fudgy and doughy inside. These baked cookies also are drier and harder, but not too much.
Ingredient Temperature: I recommend that all the ingredients be used at room temperature to generate light and fluffy cookies. The element will have a chance to incorporate together better and give the best mixture for baking.
Bake One Batch At A Time
After preparations, you need to bake them in the oven. Get ready!
- Place in the tray: Get all the prepared cookies in one batch on the tray before putting them in the center of the oven.
- When baking, remembering to rotate the tray to make sure all the cookies are cooked thoroughly
- Especially, don’t open the oven door many times, which will lead to the not good cookies. Since the outside might have gorgeous color, while the raw flour still stays inside cookies
- Don’t overcook: Generally, the cookie should be firm and have a light brown color. Around 10-15 minutes, you can see by visual eye that they are gooey, soft, or crunchy.
You cannot resist the flavor of sweet cookies, which can unwind your mind after a long exhausting day. Sure, you will have tons of considerations. Keep reading to explore more about the common issues and to find out the right solution.
Tough cookies may be a nightmare of a cookies lover, so the experience of biting the difficult-to-chew pieces of one is an unpleasant feeling. Today, you are finding out how to rescue the “stiff” cookies and discover how to extend its life.
Well, get ready to indulge in your delicious cookies without worrying about annoying feelings. Go to the kitchen and make delicious cookies which can become an interesting and reward hobby for everyone.
Moreover, I would be thrilled if you found my post helpful. Last but not least, share this handy article with your friends, your families, and your lovely neighborhood that helps everyone enjoy mind-blowingly yummy cookies.