Chili is a traditional spicy stew made following a unique recipe with tomatoes, a variety of peppers, meats, and possibly add ingredients like beans, mushrooms, and chocolate.
I believe all people like a nice, thick chili bowl, but for some reason, it is watery and looks more like a soup. Do you meet this problem when making chili? If you are also trying to make chili thicker but don’t know how to do it, don’t worry, this article will assist you with the best and easiest chili thickening methods while still keeping its maximum taste.
Table of Contents
- Cook Chili With Small Fire
- Way To Thicken Chili With Wheat Or Cornstarch
- Make Chili Thicken With Beans
- Thicken Chili With Cornmeal
- How To Thicken Chili With Tomato Paste
- Use Shredded Cheese To Make Chili Thicken
- Make Chili Thicken With Tortilla Chips
- How To Make Chili Thicken With Quick Oats
- Make Chili Thicken With Xanthan Gum
- Expectation Vs. Reality
Cook Chili With Small Fire
A simple way to thicken chili without adding any supplements is to cook it on the pot with low heat.
- Step 1: Put the Ingredients in the Pot. You should choose a pot with a thick bottom to avoid burning chili quickly or buy special pots for cooking chili, such as Cuisinart Aluminium Chili Pot.
- Step 2: Simmer and Frequently Stir Until It Reaches the Consistency You Want.
- How To Clean A Pasta Machine? The Ultimate Guide 2021
- Can You Bake Cookies On Wax Paper?
- Toaster Oven Vs. Microwave: What Is A Better Option?
- 10 Parts Of A Knife And Their Uses: Let’s “Dissect” Your Knife
- Prune Juice Vs. Plum Juice – The Complete Guide
- Everything You Need To Know About Fontina Cheese 2021
- How To Clean Bamboo Cutting Board: This Guide Will Extend The Life Of Your Cutting Board
- Copper Vs. Stainless Steel Cookware: The Truth
- Open the lid of the pot when you cook to allow the liquid to evaporate and the mixture to condense faster.
- However, this method will take time because it needs to cook the chili for a long time, about 1 hour for the chili to concentrate properly.
Way To Thicken Chili With Wheat Or Cornstarch
Wheat flour and cornstarch contain starch, which will absorb the chili’s liquid and make the chili thicker. The method of thickening chili with wheat flour or cornstarch is very simple to do with the following steps:
- Step 1: MIX the Flour With Water in the Ratio of 1: 2 to Form a Viscous Mixture.
- Step 2: Cook the Chili and Stir Well Over Low Heat.
- Step 3: Add the Flour and Heat Until the Dough Is Cooked and the Chili Thickens.
- Do not add the powder directly to the chili, as it may be lumpy.
- Adding the flour and water mixture to the chili adds in a small amount until the chili thickens as you like.
Make Chili Thicken With Beans
You can try with beans if you don’t like using wheat flour or cornstarch to thicken the chili.
- Step 1: Grind the Beans; You Can Use a potato masher to Crush Them.
- Step 2: Filter to Remove Water From Beans.
- Step 3: Add Crushed Bean to the Chili.
- Step 4: Cook With Low Heat Until Chili Thickens.
Beans will thicken your chili without changing its flavor too much.
Thicken Chili With Cornmeal
Cornmeal is a great ingredient to thicken chili and add more flavor to your dishes. Furthermore, it allows you to add it directly to chili, then stirs well and simmer without having to mix it with water.
Please do not add more cornstarch at the same time as it may be clumping, and add a little bit by bit until chili thick as you like. You can use white or yellow cornmeal powder or use masa harina. Not to use coarse cornmeal because it will not dissolve well in the chili.
How To Thicken Chili With Tomato Paste
Another solution to thicken the chili and add flavor to it is to use tomato paste. You need to mix the amount of it into the chili and cook until chili becomes thicken.
Some tomato pastes have a bitter taste, and to tackle it add a bit of sugar. You should avoid tomato paste products that contain too much sugar or salt.
Use Shredded Cheese To Make Chili Thicken
I often use cheese to thicken chili because my kids love the taste. You can add cheese while cooking the chili or when serving it, meaning that allows everyone to choose the consistency.
Cheese contains citric acid that acts as an emulsifier; when it comes into contact with the chili, it will start to melt, adhere and absorb the liquid, making the chili thicken. Also, cheese adds flavor, richness to chili. To add cheeses to chili, you need to shred cheese, or you can find the ready-made product at retail stores or on amazon.
Make Chili Thicken With Tortilla Chips
Using tortilla chips to thicken your chili is also very effective; it will break during cooking and absorb the chili’s liquid, making it thicken.
- Step1: Crumble Tortilla Chips.
- Step 2: Boil Chili and Cook Over Low Heat.
- Step 3: Add Tortilla Chips.
- Step 4: Continue to Boil and Stir Until Chili Thickens.
- Give tortilla chips little by little and stir often.
- Pay attention to salt supplementation if you use salted tortillas as too much salt detracts from the dish’s flavor, and a high-salt diet may not be good for your health.
How To Make Chili Thicken With Quick Oats
Have you ever tried thickening chili with oats? If not, give it a try. While cooking the chili, add each small teaspoon of oats and stir well. Do it until you have achieved your desired thick chili.
Make Chili Thicken With Xanthan Gum
Xanthan gum is the perfect choice to thicken chili for people with gluten intolerance or allergic wheat problems. Moreover, it’s completely flavorless, so you won’t have to worry about your chili dish will lose flavor.
When using Xanthan gum to thicken chili, you do not add it directly to the chili because it can create small lumps. You should mix it with a little bit of cold water before adding it to the chili.
There are some questions people often ask when cooking chili. Read them as it will be helpful for you.
Expectation Vs. Reality
Knowing how to thicken chili is extremely important because it will make your family’s meals taste better, and you will have scores in everyone’s eyes. Now you no longer have to worry about making chili thicken anymore because you already know how to do it. However, in any way, you should consider the ingredients you have and do it carefully and calmly to get the perfect thicken chili you want.
Have you ever tried thickening chili? Do you have any other way? Let’s share!
If you have any concerns about this article, please leave a comment below. I will help you!