Many people ask me how to make delicious Long John Silver’s fish batter recipe, so I release this valuable post to share the proper tutorials to get the best treat. Also, I’ve included some tricks to make the cooking process more accessible and practical.
Do not worry if you are a newbie in the kitchen since the understandable article is the best instructor. You can be surprised by the simplicity of this excellent recipe when you get into the kitchen. Let’s give it a shot right now!
Why Do You Love Long John Silver’s Fish Batter?
I have tried and am addicted to Long John Silver’s fish batter. It is a cod fish-based recipe and a fantastic meal choice if you are craving seafood. Let’s discover why you fall in love with it on the first try.
The gorgeous golden-brown color of the fish batter can catch your attention as soon as you come across this treat. Hence, keeping your mouth water is hard when standing in front of this fascinating recipe.
You can dive into this dish’s crispiness and incredible taste when biting the cod fish batter. The mix of baking powder, baking soda, and club soda is the secret to this delicious dish. It gives the batter a light and airy consistency.
Moreover, Long John Silver’s fish batter uses wild-catch cod fish so that you can be assured of the freshness and high-quality seafood in this recipe. The simple preparation is a plus point of this treat since you can finish it in about 20 minutes.
Let’s Prepare These Components Before Making The Fish Batter
Preparing the ingredients is the essential stage to get the best fish batter. You must choose the high-quality and suitable components to bring incredible taste. Let’s see what you need to prepare:
- Cod filet: This is a typical fish with white flesh. Choose the fresh cod filet to utilize this fish’s mild flavor and flaky texture. Also, it is a high source of vitamin E, D, A, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Corn starch: It plays a vital role in raising the crunch of the fish batter. You will mix it with other dry ingredients to create the perfect batter with a beautiful golden-brown exterior.
- All-purpose flour: Flour is an indispensable ingredient in batter recipes. This element helps keep components together and creates a strong and perfect structure for baked goods.
- Sugar: Add a bit of sweetness to the fish batter and make it more delicious.
- Paprika: The characteristic spiciness of this element can stimulate the taste buds of your diners.
- Salt: It is a common ingredient in many batter recipes to give them a savory flavor.
- Baking soda, baking powder, and club soda: Give the soft and fluffy batter and make the fish batter rise effectively. Raise the volume of the batters and give them a light consistency. Note, you can use plain water instead of club soda.
- Garlic and onion powder: These seasonings add garlicky fragrance and flavor to your Long John Silver’s fish batter. Diversify the flavor of your fish batter with the addition of savory.
- Oil: You cannot complete the fish batter recipes without oil. You use it to fry the batter to create eye-catching and delectable batters.
The Simple Instructions To Make Delicious Fish Batter
After preparing all the essential ingredients, you can start making Long John Silver’s fish batter with the detailed and straightforward instructions in this section. Focus on following these steps to gain a delicious treat.
Step 1: Making the Smooth and Excellent Batter
In a large bowl, you should combine the dry components like all-purpose flour, corn starch, onion, garlic, baking powder, spices, and others. Mix them to get a well-combined blend.
The next thing you need to do to have a perfect batter is to add club soda (or plain water) to the dry ingredients mix. Stir the mix to avoid overflowing on the sides of the bowl. Stop it when the dry mixture becomes moist.
Step 2: Dry the Cod Filet
If you use frozen cod fish, you should learn different ways to thaw your frozen fish. Remember to get it out of the package before defrosting. You should cover the fish with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw.
Discard all excess liquid from the cod filet before frying it by patting it with a paper towel. This helps prevent splatter during frying.
Step 3: Coat the Cod Filet With the Batter
Put the cod filet pieces in the batter bowl and wait a few minutes for the batter to completely cover the filets. After that, remove the fish from the bowl and discard the excess batter.
Step 4: Heat the Oil
- Prepare a cast-iron skillet and add oil until it takes up about ½ to ¾ of the skillet’s depth. Heat the oil to medium-high heat and wait about 5 to 10 minutes for the oil to reach the right temperature (350 degrees F).
- If you use an electric fryer, preheat it to 350 degrees F. When it reaches the right heat, the device can keep the oil at a stable temperature by automatically reducing the heat.
- Add a bit of oil to the Dutch oven and set it to medium-high temperature. You can measure the oil temperature with a deep-frying thermometer. You can fry when the oil reaches 350 degrees F.
Step 5: Fry the Battered Fish
You may know that the estimated deep frying time for each fish is different. And for cod, you’ll need about 3 to 4 minutes to fry one side.
Then, turn the fish over and continue to fry for another 3 to 4 minutes until the batter gets the beautiful golden-brown shade and the fish floats on the surface.
Place the fried batters on paper towels to remove the excess oil. Continue frying the next batch and repeat the process until the cod filets run out. Before frying the next batch, place the fish on the baking sheet to keep the crunch when frying. Let’s enjoy your meal!
Note: You should not put too many cod filets in the skillet when frying because this will cause overlapping and reduce the heat of the oil as well as the quality of the fish. And wait until the oil gets 350 degrees F before frying the next batch.
Remember These Tricks To Get The Best Fish Batter
It is simple to have a crispy and delectable fish batter for the gatherings, isn’t it? Nonetheless, you can make it better and more delicious with the valuable tips in this section. Let’s check them now!
- Before serving Long John Silver’s fish batter, it is better to sprinkle a bit of salt on the cooked fish batter’s surface to enhance the fish’s taste.
- In case you cannot find club soda in your kitchen, beer or Seltzer water are the reasonable alternatives you can add to this fantastic recipe to create air bubbles.
- If you mix the batter too much, the air bubbles can dissipate.
- While coating the cod filets with batter, ensure to flip it over regularly until the cod filets are covered generously.
- I highly recommend using small filets (about 3 ounces) while making this crunchy treat. If you use the big pieces, the heavyweight causes them to sink to the bottom of the skillet and makes frying difficult.
- You can use many types of oil for this recipe. Vegetables, peanuts, corn, or canola oil are suitable. However, use canola oil for the most similar results to Long John Silver’s fish batter. Plus, any oil with a smoke point up to 400 degrees F can make it.
- Wild Alaska cod is the famous seafood for this yummy Long John Silver’s fish batter. Nevertheless, you can replace it with other white fish like tilapia or catfish.
- It is terrible to make the batter beforehand since its consistency can become thick and heavy.
- Do not forget to lower and keep the batter for a few seconds to create a crust before you put it in the basket. This keeps the batter from sticking to the basket.
- Don’t skip lowering the batter when you fry the fish, making it easier for the batter to expand.
You will never run out of accompaniment ideas for these fried fish. But if you need some suggestions, here you go:
- For a side dish, you can dip the onions into the batter and fry them to create crispy onion rings to consume with the fish batter.
- To enhance the quality and taste of the beautiful fish batter, I love to consume it with coleslaw, tartar sauce, or hush puppies.
Make The Fish Batter Recipe To Treat Your Loved Ones Now!
Are you ready to enjoy your Long John Silver’s fish batter version? I believe you can easily overcome the challenge, so please make it with all your cooking skills and confidence. I’m delighted to be a part of bringing the fabulous meal to your family.
Although you have the specific tutorial on hand, you can meet unexpected problems while preparing the fish batter. If you are in this situation, show me your difficulties via comments, and I will help you solve them quickly.
Lastly, you can share this valuable article with your relatives or friends when you receive questions about how to make yummy Long John Silver’s fish batter. Thanks a lot!
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Love Long John Silver’s Fish Batter?
- Let’s Prepare These Components Before Making The Fish Batter
- The Simple Instructions To Make Delicious Fish Batter
- Remember These Tricks To Get The Best Fish Batter
- Long John Silver’s Fish Batter
- Make The Fish Batter Recipe To Treat Your Loved Ones Now!