Whiskey stones, whiskey’s born!
Have you ever been annoyed when your coke got diluted by ice cubes after they watered down? Well, if you are searching for a solution to this problem, whiskey stones are the best answer.
Whiskey stones are divided into several types and are manufactured and sold by many other manufacturers. Indeed, each kind of whiskey stones set will be differently in material, cooling capacity, heat-holding power, shape, weight, color, etc.
This review will show you some of the most outstanding brands as well as product lines of each of them in various categories.
Table of Contents
What Are Whiskey Stones?
In a brief explanation, whiskey stones (also known as cooling cubes, scotch rocks, or whiskey rocks) help to chill drinks and beverages as same as traditional ice, except they are insoluble in liquid which traditional ice cubes cannot do since they would water down after a while and dilute your drinks.
- Top 15 Best Pizza Pans For The Money 2021
- Top 15 Best Gluten-Free Flour Reviews in 2021
- Top 15 Best Cake Pans To Buy in 2021
- Top 13 Best Milk Frother Reviews in 2021
- Top 15 Best Kitchen Towels To Buy in 2021
- Top 15 Best Cotton Candy Machines To Buy in 2021
- Top 15 Best Coconut Oil for Cooking Reviews in 2021
- Top 15 Best Store Bought Alfredo Sauce Reviews in 2021
Usually, whiskey stones are:
- Made of non-porous soapstone, granite, or stainless steel. Each of them is different from each other. Soapstone is less porous than other stones, which means that it can avoid absorbing strange smells.
- Able to be reused many times.
How To Distinguish The Genres Of Whiskey Stones?
Granite is harder than soapstone but it also can leave scratches to your glasses easier.
Stainless steel has good features of both the above product lines. It is more durable, not soaking up foreign odors, yet is having a smooth surface not to scratch your glasses. Therefore, stainless steel products tend to be more expensive than the other two lines.
How To Use The Whiskey Stones Properly?
You use the stones only after carefully cleaning them. After each use, clean them again even if you drink the same type of beverage later. This helps to remove impurities adhering to the surface of the stones and keep them tasteless that may negatively influence your drinks later.
I highly recommend that if you buy soapstones, you should only use them for one type of drink or beverage. Since soapstones are porous, they can absorb the flavor from other strong-tasting drinks and ruin your next drink.
One more thing, you should not drop the stones from high up into the drinks. Some stones are heavy or angular enough to scratch the glass, or even break it.
What Are The Best Whiskey Stones?
After doing a number of researches, I finally end up with my 12 top best whiskey stones for each category below. Let’s take a look and make the decision later.
- Best Overall: R.O.C.K.S. Whiskey Chilling Stones
“FDA certified; premium granite stones; and highly efficient.”
- Best Budget: Quiseen Beverage Chilling Stones
“Reusable; affordable; 100% soapstone; and light.”
- Best Quality for Soapstone: Teroforma Classic Whisky Stones
“Certified by FDA; classic; and extending cooling-down time.”
- Best Quality for Stainless Steel: Kollea Stainless Steel Chilling Stones
“Reusable; dishwasher safe; FDA attested; and corrosion resistance.”
- Best Quality for Granite: Brotec Whiskey Stones
“FDA certified; premium quality product; and avoiding scratches to glass surface.”
- Best Give-Away: Outset Chillware Whiskey Stones
“Stylish; affordable; high-quality granite stones; and light.”
- Best Efficiency: Rabbit Whiskey And Jumbo Chilling Stones Set
“Extra-large; dishwasher safe; highly efficient; stylish; and affordable.”
- Best Uniqueness: Areaware Geometric Whiskey Stones
“Natural; handcrafted; and uniqueness.”
- Best Handcrafted: Whiskey Bones Hand-Carved Chilling Granite Skull Whiskey Stones
“Handcrafted; stylish; affordable; premium stones; and cool design.”
- Best Set: Lord’s Rocks Granite Ice Stones
“X-large size; premium bar accessories; and extra glasses.”
- Best Splurge: Anna New York Vida Whisky Stones
“Luxurious; color variety; and fragile.”
- Best Various Pack: Whiskey & Axe Premium Whiskey Stones
“Premium stones; various; affordable, and usable widely.”
Whiskey Stones Comparison Table 2021
To give you a closer view of the whiskey stones, I have sketched a table to compare the brands on some categories below. They are:
|Product Name||Number and Sort of Stones||Parcel Dimensions||Additional Accessories|
|R.O.C.K.S. Whiskey Chilling Stones - Best Overall||6 of granite||14.7 x 13.7 x 5.1 cm||A wooden tray|
|Quiseen Beverage Chilling Stones - Best Budget||9 of soapstone||13.7 x 10.2 x 2 cm||A gift box and a pouch|
|Teroforma Classic Whisky Stones - Best Quality for Soapstone||9 of soapstone||10.2 x 2.5 x 15.2 cm||A pouch|
|Kollea Stainless Steel Chilling Stones - Best Quality for Stainless Steel||8 of stainless steel||12.7 x 4.8 x 22.1 cm||A set of stainless tongs and a plastic tray|
|Brotec Whiskey Stones - Best Quality for Granite||8 of granite stone||17.8 x 6.6 x 17.8 cm||2 crystal glasses, a velvet pouch and a wooden box|
|Outset Chillware Whiskey Stones - Best Give-Away||9 of granite stone||14 x 10.8 x 2.5 cm||A pouch|
|Rabbit Whiskey and Jumbo Chilling Stones Set - Best Efficiency||2 of stainless steel||3.8 x 3.8 x 3.8 cm||A storage container|
|Areaware Geometric Whiskey Stones - Best Uniqueness||4 of soapstone and marble||- 5.08 cm high, - 4.57 cm wide, - 5 x 5 x 5 cm per stone||None|
|Whiskey Bones Hand-Carved Chilling Granite Skull Whiskey Stones - Best Handcrafted||2 of granite||12.7 x 8.89 x 6.35 cm||A gift box|
|Lord’s Rocks Granite Ice Stones - Best Set||8 of granite stone||18.8 x 18.8 x 8.4 cm||2 large glasses and a velvet pouch|
|Anna New York Vida Whisky Stones - Best Splurge||6 of amethyst||2 x 2 x 2 cm per stone||A gift box|
|Whiskey & Axe Premium Whiskey Stones - Best Various Pack||24 of marble, granite and soapstone||13.97 x 9.22 x 2.24 cm||A storage tin|
Top 12 Best Whiskey Stones Reviews in 2021
Now let’s dig deeper into each brand of best whiskey stones! I will give you specific information on their key features, pros, cons and several product specifications so that you will have a precise decision to buy which suits you the best.
1. R.O.C.K.S. Whiskey Chilling Stones
Coming from R.O.C.K.S., an awarded leading brand in the industry, 6 hand-crafted chilling stones look stunning in a hardwood tray. The stones are elegant and colorized differently in order to match perfectly with a variety of alcohol. The rapid-cooling and non-diluting effect of the stones help you to keep the taste of drinks unchanged.
A distinct feature to note about this product line is that unlike square-shaped stones, the rounded edge design (with 1.37” diameter and .78” thickness) helps reduce scratches to the glass surface, therefore, basically you do not have to worry if your glasses are damaged.
- Pack of 6 premium granite stones with 6 different colors
- FDA certified
- Highly efficient
- Enhances the drinking experience
- Does not dilute your drink
- Odorless and tasteless
- High cooling capacity with only 1 to 2 stones for each drink
- Avoids scratches to your glasses
- Stunning look
- Solid material
- The time to let the stones sit in the freezer is long, mostly overnight
|Dimensions||14.7 x 13.7 x 5.1 cm|
|Color||Coffee color, cream yellow, light yellow, dark grey, black, cyan|
|Product warranty||Money-back in 30 days|
2. Quiseen Beverage Chilling Stones
Referring to Quiseen product, I highly appreciate its ability to retain the flavor of drinks. What’s more, having a velvet pouch enables you to carry the stones and cool drinks on travels or a weekend getaway. The size of the stone has versatile help, too. It is small, light, and convenient. It can easily adapt to types of wine glasses and genres of wine.
Key Features: :
- Provides a slight chill from 8 to 15 Celsius degrees
- Made of 100% soapstone
- Packaged with a velvet pouch and a gift box
- The high-quality soapstones do not affect the flavor of the drinks
- Lighter than other stones
- Totally natural
- Small stones. You may need more stones to chill your drink
|Dimensions||13.7 x 10.2 x 2 cm|
3. Teroforma Classic Whisky Stones
(Best Quality for Soapstone)
If you are a classic fanatic of whiskey stones, then congratulations! Teroforma stones suit you the best. Being nostalgic but not obsolete, the stones bring you back to the day when those were manually crafted at the oldest soapstone mill in America, which used a closed-loop sustainable milling process.
Different from other regular soapstones, the Teroforma Whisky Stones does not have any residues that may badly influence the drinks’ flavor. Another noteworthy feature about this product is its consistent and shiny appearance.
- FDA certified
- More gentle than ice
- Good at retaining temperature
- Enabling to chill drinks in an extended period of time (about 40 minutes)
- Reducing scratches to glasses
- Food-safe polish
- Will not react with water, alcohols, detergents, mild acids and other solvents
- Small stones. You may need more stones to chill your drinks
- Not designed to chill larger volume drinks
|Dimensions||10.2 x 2.5 x 15.2 cm|
4. Kollea Stainless Steel Chilling Stones
(Best Quality for Stainless Steel)
When it comes to chilling effect, Kollea stones are top-notch. Those are long-lasting cool temperatures yet take a quite short time in the freezer, that is because each stone contains a non-toxic substance which helps remain the coolness longer. The stones do not corrode and you can easily wash them or put in the dishwasher. A splendid attribute of this product is that Kollea stones are especially ideal for use on whiskey, wine, vodka and beer.
In addition, the included plastic tray helps you to organize the stone conveniently in your fridge. Besides, if you want to buy a set of Kollea Chilling Stones as a present to your friends or relatives, then do not worry. The product is packed carefully inside a beautiful gift box and represents a nice look.
- A pack of 6 stainless steel rocks and free tongs designed with an anti-slip feature
- FDA certified
- Reusable and durable
- Dishwasher safe
- Corrosion resistance
- Can keep your drinks cool up to 4 hours
- Chill longer than other rival products
- Able to clean the stones in the dishwasher
- Ready to use after 4 or 5 hours of freezing
- Hard to grab stones with the included tongs
- The stones are a bit too large for smaller glasses
|Dimensions||12.7 x 4.8 x 22.1 cm|
5. Brotec Whiskey Stones
(Best Quality for Granite)
In case you cannot find any glass for a sip of wine, the Brotec Whiskey Stones is a supreme set. 2 crystal glasses in the package, it is enough for you and one person with you to enjoy a delicious drink. The stones have smooth edges that prevent the glasses from scrapes.
If you are worried about the wooden box not being able to put into the fridge, the velvet pouch included in the kit helps to prevent the stones from foreign smell. The whole set is functional. It meets all requirements such as long-lasting cooling effect, stunning appearance, convenience in storage and preservation of the stones. This can be a good gift to your beloved ones, too.
- FDA certified
- Ideal cooling for any beverage
- Premium quality product
- The stones are smooth, chill well and durable
- Avoiding scratches to the glasses
- The set goes with 2 glasses and a velvet pouch. Thanks to the bag, Brotec stones are now protected from food smell of the fridge, kept odorless
- 1-year warranty
- A bit pricey
- Quite heavy
- You may need to put 3 stones for a glass
- The included glasses seem small compared to the size of the stones
|Dimensions||17.8 x 6.6 x 17.8 cm|
|Product warranty||1 year of money-back|
6. Outset Chillware Whiskey Stones
This is definitely the best option to become a warm gift. It carries courteous beauty with polished granite color that makes the wine brighter. All edges of the stones are grinded flatly, therefore, you do not mind if the glasses will be scratched because the answer is “no”.
Among the versatility versions/sets of whiskey stones on the market, the Outset Chilling Whiskey Stones has a quite cheap price. If you do not have much spare, you should consider these stones as an option for a present to give. They are reusable, on style and they take only few hours to chill before use. The pouch also enables you to carry the stones elsewhere.
- High-quality granite stones
- Affordable price
- Easily carry
- Large set. Used in versatile ways
- Smaller than other whiskey stones. You may need more stones to chill your drink
|Dimensions||14 x 10.8 x 2.5 cm|
7. Rabbit Whiskey and Jumbo Chilling Stones Set
Just like its name, each stone is huge and much bigger than the rest types of whiskey stones. The jumbo-sized stones have some advantages themselves, to keep track of them. They hardly disappear under ditches like small or medium-sized stones. However, the titan size may also have some drawbacks. They will consume more time in the fridge than others.
Briefly, the benefits that Rabbit Whiskey and Jumbo Chilling Stones Set brings are still completely superior to their disadvantages, especially when these stones can be put into a dishwasher. Moreover, these stones cool your drinks down longer than any other stones, well, it is big and it is made of stainless steel.
- Extra-large size
- Dishwasher safe
- Chill drinks faster than other stones
- Highly efficient
- Chilling your drinks in seconds
- Affordable price
- The stones will not fall into the drain by chance
- The chilling time lasts much longer than other stones
- The stones are a bit too larger for some glasses
- Longer freezing time
|Dimensions||3.8 x 3.8 x 3.8 cm|
8. Areaware Geometric Whiskey Stones
If uniqueness is what you are looking for, then here you are! A set of Areaware Geometric Whiskey Stones is perfect for anyone who likes trying new exclusive things. The stones are featured in 4 different shapes. It is a pyramid, a sphere, a rectangular prism and last but not least, a cylinder.
These stones have a deep, neutral tone of color that brings out a natural feeling. They look gorgeous, but unlike some dishwasher-friendly stones, these must be cleaned manually.
- A pack of 4 geometric stones. Very unique
- Natural look
- Have varying shapes in a set, each stone is a different shape
- Make your drinks look cool
- Unique combination of soapstone and marble
- Only 1 stone per glass can fit in
- Only hand wash
- Possibly scratch your glasses with their sharp angles
– 5.08 cm high
– 4.57 cm wide
– 5 x 5 x 5 cm
|Material||Soapstone and marble|
9. Whiskey Bones Hand-Carved Chilling Granite Skull Whiskey Stones
Whiskey Bones Hand-carved Chilling Granite Skull Whiskey Stones tends to be dark and macabre. Being 100% manually crafted with premium quality stones, this product costs a nearly fair price. Sipping a good glass of wine with a skull floating in there seems to be really cool.
Moreover, if you do not want to use it, you still can buy it as a present for the one you love. Having a gift box along with the stones is so convenient, right?
- Reasonable price tag
- Premium granite stones used
- Intricate, detailed sculpture
- Fun design
- Affordable price
- Less possibility of scratching your glasses because of their round-headed design
- A small number of stones. Can only serve a maximum of 2 people
- Each glass fits only 1 stone
|Dimensions||12.7 x 8.89 x 6.35 cm|
10. Lord’s Rocks Granite Ice Stones
Are you tearing your hair out thinking of what gift to buy to your dad that is deluxe yet still economical? A set of Lord’s Rocks Granite Ice Stones is the suitable one for this situation. Not mention the beautiful wooden box outside, two crystal glasses for you and your partner, now you both can sip any kind of cool drink together.
Indeed, this is the best gift not because of having almost a full set, but also obtains a reasonable price tag to be bought as a gift.
- Premium bar accessories
- X-large size stone
- Extra glasses in the set
- Reducing scratches on the surface of the glasses
- 2 glasses and a pouch go with the stones. As same as Brotec Stones set, the pouch prevents the stones from smells and keeps them clean
- High-quality presentation box
- Thick, high-quality glasses
- The size of the stones is large to some glasses
- The stones are quite heavy
- The glasses may be smaller than you expected
|Dimensions||18.8 x 18.8 x 8.4 cm|
|Product warranty||Risk freeAnn|
11. Anna New York Vida Whisky Stones
Talking about Anna New York Vida Whisky stone, I am talking about its luxury. Because of being made from amethyst, the price tag of this product is very high. However, if you are a whiskey stones collector, or if you can afford to buy it, then this is a great choice.
You are not always enjoying a glass of wine with a hundred-dollar rock of such perfect and natural color. However, Anna stones can only be cleaned by hand with mild, non-abrasive dish soap and a soft cloth. But I think that is understandable because the stones cost a “fortune” anyway!
- Using amethyst as material for making the stones
- Various colors of stones
- The set is launched with a gift box
- Spending only a few hours in the fridge
- Non-abrasive dish soap
- Only hand wash
- The size of the stones is smaller to some glasses
- Stones are fragile
|Dimensions||2 x 2 x 2 cm per stone|
|Color||Earth-toned colors and smoky quartz|
|Product warranty||Money-back in 30 days|
12. Whiskey & Axe Premium Whiskey Stones
(Best Various Pack)
What would you do if one day 10 friends came over to your house and you did not have enough whiskey stones to serve the drinks?
Well, this Whiskey & Axe Premium Whiskey Stones set is your best choice for this situation. The large quantity of stones enables you to invite your friends and family for a drink, while 3 genres of stones coming from each pack match perfectly with each type of beverage.
What’s more, the storage tin is easily cleaned. Unlike velvet pouches, which can be discarded after a year of use, the tin is much more preservable. Overall, this set is the best at chilling different types of drinks and beverages.
- Premium quality stones
- A pack goes with a tin for storage and preservation purposes
- Not just for alcohol
- Various stones
- The tin is easy to clean
- Affordable and reasonable price
- Can provide stones for many glasses
- Usable for wine, tea, coffee and other beverages
- You may need more stones for a glass
|Dimensions||13.97 x 9.22 x 2.24 cm|
|Material||Marble, granite and soapstone|
|Color||Grey, black and white|
Buying Guide For Whiskey Stones
The expense spent on whiskey stones is mostly based on:
- The stone’s material.
- The number of stones and accessories.
- The stone’s size and color.
There are several factors to make a product perfect. In terms of whiskey stones, before picking your favourite set, you should also consider the full set of a package, which includes a tray, tongs, whiskey glasses, pouch, and the outside box.
It is an advantage if your stones have shiny faces because they will help to highlight your drink more. However, the prerequisite, still, is having the quality stones from reputable manufacturers.
You can go to the brand store, a supermarket in-person or simply click on the Amazon website to purchase whiskey stones. They have been available online for nearly a decade. Some brands may also discount their products on Christmas, New Year’s Eve and other holidays, therefore you should keep an eye on it, too.
Some brands also offer product warranty. This means that in a certain length of time (usually 30 days) after buying the whiskey stones, you can return or exchange the product, so please keep the bill after the purchase and follow the instruction of the seller.
My Top Pick
As a picky person in this stuff, I would recommend you my most favorite kind of whiskey stones: Rabbit Whiskey and Jumbo Chilling Stones Set.
What I absolutely like about this product is that the stones can chill my beverage real fast and the cooling effect lasts longer compared to other product lines.
That is my personal opinion. How about you? After this review, have you made your choice yet? I hope my article can help you decide it. Maybe after purchasing whiskey stones, you would share your experience in using them.