Blue cheese is many people’s favorite food, but have you ever been curious about which one is the blue cheese on the market currently? If your answer is yes, you should not skip this article.
Blue cheese is famous for its strong flavor and delicious taste. Adding it to other dishes, such as salads, steaks, etc., will surely enhance the overall flavor.
Moreover, it is a healthy cheese without harmful substances. It contains calories, protein, and calcium that provide energy to your body. Overall, blue cheese is a good addition to your diet, and it is important to find out the greatest cheese product to enjoy.
In this article, you can know more about the top 10 products of blue cheese as well as their buying guide to make sure they are your right decision. So keep reading for more details.
What Is Blue Cheese?
Blue cheese is a variety of cheese that is made from cow’s milk, goat’s milk, or sheep’s milk with the participation of Penicillium – a kind of mold that gives the cheese a distinctive pattern of blue veins and spots.
Penicillium is non-toxic and safe to use, and it is responsible for the unique taste and flavor of blue cheese.
Why Should You Keep Blue Cheese In Your Fridge?
Like other cheese products, blue cheese helps everyday dishes taste better and smells better, allowing you to love cooking and enjoying your meals. You can serve it with many dishes like salads, burgers, sandwiches, steaks, and more or use it to make cheese sauces.
Blue cheese is rich in nutrients and has many health benefits. It is an excellent source of calories, protein, and calcium for the body, preventing osteoporosis.
Blue cheese products are generally low in cholesterol, sugar, and fat, which can reduce the risk of obesity and diabetes. It also comes in various varieties which are suitable for different diets, such as vegetarian, Keto, and weight loss.
Best Brands Of Blue Cheese On The Market
With many blue cheese types, there are also many brands that produce blue cheese with different quality as well. You can refer to some brands that always offer high-quality blue cheese products to make your meals more enjoyable.
Tuxford & Tebbut
Tuxford & Tebbut produces blue Stilton cheese in the most traditional way. This product is from Leicestershire county in England. It stands out with its unchanged appearance, which features beautiful blue marbles, and rich, complex flavor.
Daneko is a famous manufacturer specializing in making cheese from non-GMO Danish cow’s milk. It carries the most authentic Danish taste in every piece of cheese. Some products also include spices, herbs, or pepper. Moreover, if you want to find deep-flavor blue cheese, try Daneko products!
It is a brand known for its salad dressing, blue cheese, marinades, dips, and pasta. They have high quality and delightful flavor. This brand’s blue cheese product is a perfect food to enhance the taste of other dishes, and it is a perfect source of calories to help you recharge energy.
Which Are The Best Blue Cheeses To Buy?
Stilton always provides the best blue cheese product with a delicious taste and delightful flavor. It makes your dishes taste much better and gives energy to your body.
If you need a crumbled version of cheese, try Organic Valley blue cheese. Of course, this cheese style is still packed with nutrients. Moreover, it is creamy and tangy to make your dishes burst in flavor.
Below are the top 10 blue cheese products to give you more choices.
- Best Overall: Tuxford & Tebbut Stilton Blue Cheese
“5-pound half wheel, cheese from England, made from pasteurized cow milk, aged by traditional method.”
- Best Budget: Stella 100% Cow’s MilkBlue Cheese
“Made from 100 cow’s milk, aged for 2 months, have natural flavor, offer 110 calories and 6g protein per serving size, creamy and soft texture, perfect price.”
- Best For Charcuterie: MARKY’S English Cheese Blue Stilton
“Have an attractive interior with blue veinings, the cheese is carefully matured in 9 weeks, good for charcuterie/cheese boards, pasta, risottos, and desserts, An England-style cheese.”
- Best Crumbles: Organic Valley Non-GMO Blue Cheese
“No hormones or toxic pesticides, USDA organic cheese, non-GMO, have tangy and creamy flavor, a great source of calcium.”
- Best For Keto/Vegetarian: Point Reyes Unpasteurized Cow Milk Blue Cheese
“ Produced in California, Made from unpasteurized cow milk, Free of gluten, covered with foil, aged over 60 days.”
- Best for Burgers: Daneko Danish Creamy Blue Cheese
“Made from cow’s milk, contain no sugar or trans fat, an excellent source of calories and protein, no hormones added, great to eat with burgers or sandwiches.”
- Best for Salads: Maytag Blue Cheese
“ Produced in Iowa, Moist and crumbly, Perfect for salad, Come in a 1-pound hand-cut block or 2 8-ounce wedges.”
- Best Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives: Green Jay Gourmet Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
“Blue cheese stuffed olives, a delicate garnish for cocktails, can be a perfect component for any cheese/charcuterie board, made with premium green olives.”
- Best For Steak or For Melting: Papillon Roquefort Black Label A.O.C Blue Cheese
“Made from unpasteurized sheep’s milk, made in France, strong flavor, own nice blue marbles and white curd.”
- Best Dressing: Wish-Bone Gluten-Free Blue Cheese
“Have great taste and flavor, help to make food better, packed in a bottle, convenient to use, no artificial colorants, free of gluten, no high fructose corn syrup.”
Blue Cheese Comparison Table
In this part, I will show you several characteristics of the top 10 best blue cheeses, which are shown in the below table. Let’s check it to have more information.
|Best Blue Cheeses||Dimensions||Net Weight||Cheese Form||Packaging Type|
|Tuxford & Tebbut Stilton Blue Cheese - Best Overall||N/A||5 lbs (half wheel)||Bar||Plastic wrap|
|Stella 100% Cow’s Milk BlueCheese - Best Budget||4.3 x 4.3 x 1.7 inches||5 oz||Crumbles||Cup|
|MARKY'S English Cheese Blue Stilton - Best For Charcuterie||N/A||1 lb||Sliced||Plastic wrap|
|Organic Valley Non-GMO Blue Cheese - Best Organic||4.4 x 4.4 x 1.7 inches||4 oz||Crumbles||Tub|
|Daneko Danish Creamy Blue Cheese - Best for Burgers||4 x 1.25 x 4 inches||4 oz||Block||Packet|
|Point Reyes Unpasteurized Cow Milk Blue Cheese - Best For Keto/Vegetarian||2 x 3 x 2 inches||6 oz||Block||Foil-wrapped|
|Maytag Blue Cheese - Best For Salad||N/A||1 pound or 2x 8-ounce wedge||Block||Hand-wrapped in foil|
|Green Jay Gourmet Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives - Best Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives||11.69 x 5.47 x 3.82 inches||16 oz||Cheese stuffed olives||Jar|
|Papillon Roquefort Black Label A.O.C Blue Cheese - Best For Steak or For Melting||N/A||1 lb||Block||Foil-wrapped|
|Wish-Bone Gluten-Free Blue Cheese - Best Dressing||1.8 x 3.6 x 8.6 inches||15 oz||Cream||Bottle|
Reviews For The Finest Blue Cheeses in 2023
When alternative ingredients for blue cheese no longer satisfy you, it’s time to invest in some high-quality blue cheese to sate your appetite. Check out this section to learn about all the detailed information for each one of the top 10 best blue cheeses.
1. Tuxford & Tebbut Stilton Blue Cheese
The Stilton blue cheese of Tuxford & Tebbut is an outstanding product from Leicestershire, England. As a PDO (Protected Designation Origin), this cheese is an award-winning food made from traditional methods. Therefore, its authentic taste is hard to find in other blue cheese varieties.
Regarding its characteristics, Blue Stilton is a semi-hard variety with eye-catching green veining. The product is made from pasteurized cow milk and sold in 5-pound half-wheel form.
- Come in 5-pound half wheel
- Blue cheese from England
- Made from pasteurized cow milk
- Aged by traditional method
- Burst in flavor and fresh
- Can be a perfect gift for others
- Have soft and slightly crumbly texture
- Come in good package
- A little bit pricey
|Brand||Tuxford & Tebbut|
|Main ingredients||Pasteurized cow milk|
|Cheese form||Bar (5-pound half wheel)|
|Packaging type||Heavy plastic|
|Serving size||Depends on your reference|
2. Stella 100% Cow’s Milk Blue Cheese
The blue cheese is 100% cow’s milk made in Wisconsin and is aged for 2 months for a delicious natural taste. It has a soft texture, which is great for preparing accompanying dishes from vegetables like salads or making sauces.
The product helps you quickly add calories and protein to the body with 100 calories and 6g of protein per serving size. Moreover, the product is very convenient to use, and you don’t need to waste time cutting or slicing it.
- Produced in Wisconsin
- Made in 100 cow’s milk
- Have 2-month-aging
- Offer vitamin A
- Good cheese to pair with salads
- Able to use to make sauces
- Provide energy and vitamin to your body
- Ideal for creating a topping for grilled foods
- Don’t waste time to cut or slice it before using
- The taste may be quite milder than other products
|Main ingredients||Blue cheese, salt, powdered cellulose, natamycin|
|Serving size||¼ cup (28g)|
3. MARKY’S English Cheese Blue Stilton
(Best for Charcuterie)
Here is another English blue cheese product that you should not miss. Indeed, this English Blue Stilton cheese is great to go with salads, pastas or pasta side dishes, desserts, or as an addition to your charcuterie or cheese boards.
This cheese has an almost soft and crumbly texture with a rich and nutty flavor with a salty finish. However, compared to other similar blue cheese varieties, this one is relatively milder in taste.
For your information, the manufacturer has to spend 9 weeks to produce this cheese.
- Own an attractive interior with blue veinings
- The cheese is carefully matured in 9 weeks
- Ideal for charcuterie/cheese boards, pasta, risottos, and even desserts
- An England-style cheese
- High-quality package
- The flavor is creamy, nutty, and has a salty aftertaste
- Has a soft and crumbly texture
- High-quality package
- The flavor is creamy, nutty, and has a salty aftertaste
- Has a soft and crumbly texture
|Main ingredients||Pasteurized Derbyshire cow’s milk|
|Packaging type||Plastic wrap|
4. Organic Valley Non-GMO Blue Cheese
The blue cheese is made from the milk of pasture-raised cows and contains no hormones or toxic pesticides that can be harmful to health. It is also organic and non-GMO, so it is entirely healthy cheese.
This blue cheese has a creamy and tangy flavor that makes the dishes accompanying it taste better and flavored. It comes in crumble form, which is very convenient to mix with salads or add to sauces.
- Organic product
- No toxic pesticides
- Do not use synthetic hormones
- Great source of calcium
- Convenient to mix with salads or make sauces
- Have a creamy and tangy flavor
- Make food more yummy and better smell
- Packed in a resealable tub to keep cheese’s freshness
- It may be too tangy for someone’s new to blue cheese
|Main ingredients||Fresh milk, cheese culture, organic enzymes, non-animal enzymes, salt, penicillium roqueforti|
|Serving size||1 oz (28g)|
A Treasure Cave video will guide you to make a roasted pumpkin with crumbled blue cheese for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any holidays. Watch it right for a delicious dish!
5. Daneko Danish Creamy Blue Cheese
(Best for Burgers)
This is a blue cheese product originating from Denmark, and it has an intense, spicy, salty flavor. The product is made from cow’s milk without added hormones and contains no sugar, carbohydrates, or trans fat.
You can add it to burgers or steaks to flavor your dishes and make them more delicious and appealing. In addition, the blue cheese is an excellent source of calories and protein with 110 and 4g per serving size, respectively.
- Have original in Denmark
- No preservatives
- No sugar
- Not included artificial flavors
- Great to add on burger or steaks
- Help food become more appealing and tasty
- It is spicy and salty
- Easy to crumble or cut it
- Have delightfully aromatic and flavorful
- Need to grind or cut it before adding on food
|Main ingredients||Cow’s milk, salt, started cheese cultured, microbial rennet, calcium chloride|
6. Point Reyes Unpasteurized Cow Milk Blue Cheese
(Best for Keto/Vegetarian)
The blue cheese is made from unpasteurized milk from Holstein cows; it is a traditional blue cheese, covered with foil, moist and has a smooth surface, with attractive blue spots, and a medium-strong flavor.
It’s great to make cheese sauces or use it for burgers, steaks, or spinach salads. The blue cheese will elevate the flavor and taste of dishes to a new level. The product does not contain gluten and is made from vegetarian rennet.
- Produced in California
- Made from unpasteurized cow milk
- Free of gluten
- Covered with foil
- Aged over 60 days
- Have moist and ultra-creamy texture
- Excellent taste and medium-strong flavor
- Perfect for eating with many dishes like steak or burger
- Nice packaging and seal well
- Help to robust the flavor of foods
- The cheese can stick on your finger when slicing it
|Main ingredients||Raw cow’s milk, cheese cultures, enzymes, salt, penicillium roqueforti|
|Serving size||1oz (28g)|
A video below will give you more information about this blue cheese and how it looks when cutting. Take a look now!
7. Maytag Blue Cheese
(Best For Salad)
This blue cheese is a product from Iowa. It is matured in 6 months so its flavor is semi-intense and its odor is quite pungent.
With the crumbly and moist texture, Maytag cheese is ideal for serving with salad. If you are new to this strong-taste cheese, this one can be a good start.
On the other hand, the delivery is on the spot as it comes with a package with an ice bag to retain the best cheese texture.
- Produced in Iowa
- Moist and crumbly
- Perfect for salad
- Come in a 1-pound hand-cut block or 2 8-ounce wedges
- Good value for money
- Offer creamy flavor to your dishes
- Nice aroma with peppery notes
- Come in a good package
- It is not ideal for those who live in rural areas as there might be a delivery problem
|Brand||Maytag Dairy Farms|
|Main ingredients||Homogenized cow’s milk|
|Cheese Form||Block or wedges|
|Packaging type||Hand-wrapped in foil|
8. Green Jay Gourmet Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
(Best Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives)
Are you seeking a quick homemade garnish for your martini or bloody mary cocktail? Try Green Jay Gourmet blue cheese stuffed olives, and you will not regret it.
Made with premium green olives and tasty blue cheese, they are bathed in vinegar brine so their flavors are cheesy and salty with a little bit of bitterness. Therefore, they could be simple additions to your charcuterie board as well.
In general, when it comes to throwing a party, this product is a must-have item.
- Blue cheese stuffed olives
- A delicate garnish for cocktails
- Can be a perfect component for any cheese/charcuterie board
- Made with premium green olives
- Flavorful with cheesy and salty flavor with a mild bitterness
- Can enjoy them on their owns or with salad, sandwiches
- Suitable for many parties or gatherings
- You can use the brine for dirty martinis
- Jar can be leak due to delivery
|Brand||Green Jay Gourmet|
|Main ingredients||Green olives, blue cheese, vinegar brine, etc.|
|Cheese form||Cheese stuffed in green olives|
|Serving size||1 olive (9.5 g)|
9. Papillon Roquefort Black Label A.O.C Blue Cheese
(Best For Steak or For Melting)
If you want to try French-style blue cheese, the product of Papillon Roquefort is the best bet. Unlike others made from cow’s milk, this cheese is made from raw sheep’s milk, but its flavor is still amazing.
With the pungent flavor and littering aftertaste, it is hard to forget this cheese’s taste. It also features dense and beautiful blue marbles. Regarding its texture, this one is ideal for melting, or you can serve it with your steak.
- Made from unpasteurized sheep’s milk
- Made in France
- Own a strong flavor
- Have a nice blue marble and white curd
- Ideal for melting, steak, or salad
- Have supple and slightly granulated texture
- Come at good price
- Quite costly
|Main ingredients||Raw sheep’s milk|
10. Wish-Bone Gluten-Free Blue Cheese
The dressing blue cheese is packed in a bottle for convenience when adding it to food. It is perfect for salads, burgers, sandwiches, or crackers, making them more delicious and flavored.
Furthermore, it is a great source of calories with 130 per serving size, helping you quickly recharge energy to keep working. The product does not contain high fructose corn syrup or any artificial flavor. It is also free of gluten.
- Come in a bottle for convenience
- Low fructose corn syrup
- No have gluten
- Do not contain artificial flavor
- Great for replenishing energy with a high-calorie content
- No causing mess when using
- Excellent dressing cheese for salad or burgers
- Have the right taste of blue cheese
- Creamy and smooth texture
- Do not provide calcium and low in protein
- The bottle is quite small for a large serving
|Main ingredients||Blue cheese chunks, soybean oil, salt, enzyme, palm oil, sodium, xanthan gum, spice|
|Serving size||2 tbsp (30ml)|
Here is a video that reviews how blue cream cheese makes food better. Let’s give it a look!
Some Things Should Be Considered When Purchasing Blue Cheese
Here I give you some factors that will help you buy the best blue cheese, so don’t forget to check them.
Blue cheeses can be made from pasteurized milk or raw milk, and they usually contain no preservatives or artificial colorants and are safe for your health. However, to be satisfied with the product you buy, you should still check to see if there is a substance you do not like or are allergic to.
Checking the nutrition information will help you control the number of substances in your menu and find products right for your diet. For example, there will be low or high products in calories, or some will come without protein.
Did you know that blue cheese can be categorized as one of the hard cheese varieties, and it can also go into the soft cheese category as well? Why – you may ask. It’s because different processing procedures will result in different cheese forms: sauces, blocks, or crumbles.
Block cheeses are usually fresh, tasty, and have a strong flavor. However, it takes you time to cut or slice before serving, and it can cause a mess, or the cheese will stick to your fingers.
Crumbles and dressing cheese is very convenient to use and can be added directly to the dish. In contrast, you can come across some dry crumbles or watery dressing products.
Cheese wrapped in foil or storage bags will be challenging to keep the cheese fresh after opening. Furthermore, it can cause an annoying odor in your refrigerator when storing them in it.
Cheese in bottles and cups is convenient to use and store, however it is not eco-friendly packaging, and you may not be able to get all of the cheese in the bottles.
Most blue cheese products need to store in the refrigerator after opening to keep them from spoiling and keep cheeses fresher. Therefore, you should not buy products in bulk to avoid keeping them in the fridge for a long time and possibly out of date.
There are some frequently asked questions and their answers that help you know more about blue cheese and how to use it effectively.
My Top Pick
My favorite blue cheese is Tuxford & Tebbut Stilton Blue Cheese. Made from pasteurized cow milk and in a traditional method, this product has an excellent taste of blue cheese that you always crave.
If you prefer something cheaper yet still good in quality, Stella 100% Cow’s MilkBlue Cheese can never go wrong. Packed with flavor and nutrients, the cheese not only make your dishes more delicious but also boost your energy
So, have you ever tried blue cheese? Which product on the list is your first choice or which one is your favorite? Share your opinion in the comment section. If you like this article, your likes and shares are highly appreciated. Thank you!
Table of Contents
- What Is Blue Cheese?
- Why Should You Keep Blue Cheese In Your Fridge?
- Best Brands Of Blue Cheese On The Market
- Which Are The Best Blue Cheeses To Buy?
- Blue Cheese Comparison Table
- Reviews For The Finest Blue Cheeses in 2023
- 1. Tuxford & Tebbut Stilton Blue Cheese
- 2. Stella 100% Cow’s Milk Blue Cheese
- 3. MARKY’S English Cheese Blue Stilton
- 4. Organic Valley Non-GMO Blue Cheese
- 5. Daneko Danish Creamy Blue Cheese
- 6. Point Reyes Unpasteurized Cow Milk Blue Cheese
- 7. Maytag Blue Cheese
- 8. Green Jay Gourmet Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
- 9. Papillon Roquefort Black Label A.O.C Blue Cheese
- 10. Wish-Bone Gluten-Free Blue Cheese
- Some Things Should Be Considered When Purchasing Blue Cheese
- My Top Pick