Check out this Ambrosia fruit salad recipe now if you are searching for an easy, creamy, and yummy treat with a tropical touch. Moreover, the best thing about this salad is its simplicity regarding ingredients and preparation.
Ambrosia fruit salad is an ideal accompaniment for your potluck, Thanksgiving, Christmas, potluck, or any regular party on the weekend. It will satisfy all diners, even the pickiest ones.
So let’s find out how to have a perfect Ambrosia.
There are thousands of fruit salad ideas over the world, but if you prefer an American-origin salad, Ambrosia is a perfect one. For more specific, Ambrosia derives from Southern America, which includes different fruit varieties mixed with coconut and marshmallows.
This treat is versatile, so you can serve Ambrosia as a dessert or side dish at any picnic, party, or special occasion. And they can be the finest treat to enjoy on the hot summer days. In fact, Ambrosia means “the food of Greek gods”, so you can imagine how wonderful it is.
- 30 Best Sandwich Recipes Ever In 2023
- 25 Griddle Recipes For Endless Summer Fun 2023
- 12+ Leftover Meatball Recipes To Minimize Food Waste
- Best Collection Of 30 Delectable Ground Chicken Recipes 2023
- 30+ Top Keto Air Fryer Recipes For A Healthy Meal
- How To Cook Rice In A Rice Cooker Properly?
- 20+ Fabulous Panini Recipes
- Best Salad Meal Prep Ideas In 2023
In order to make Ambrosia, you should prepare these ingredients, such as:
Marshmallows: You should use mini marshmallows. You can use classic white or colorful fruity marshmallows, depending on your preference. Regardless of what version, these marshmallows are fluffy and sweet, which goes well with sour cream.
Mandarin Orange: I use canned types for more convenience. Make sure you drain them well before mixing them with other components. If not, your salad will be soggy at the end.
Pineapple tidbits: Similar to mandarin oranges, I use canned pineapple tidbits (or crushed pineapples) and drain them well. If you can find fresh fruit, go for it as it is also an ideal solution.
Shredded Coconut: The sweetness of shredded coconut complements other flavors. Plus, it adds texture to the salad.
Sour cream: This is the base of Ambrosia to enhance the tanginess in every bite. It also balances the sweetness of fruits and coconut flakes.
Cool Whip: To make the salad creamier, Cool Whip is essential. It is light, sweet, and irresistible.
Garnish (optional): maraschino cherry
In reality, there are no fixed rules for Ambrosia components as you can make it with various similar food items, for example:
- Swap pineapple and mandarin orange for other fruits, like strawberries, cherries, grapes, or bananas. Or you can use other various kinds of canned fruits for diverse varieties. Of course, please feel free to use fresh fruits if you can buy them.
- Do not like sour cream? No problem, just opt for Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or cream cheese.
- Replace Cool Whip with fresh whipped cream if desired.
- Or add nuts, such as pecans, pistachios, or walnuts, to add more texture to your salad.
In short, you can rely on your preference to choose Ambrosia’s components. The sky’s the limit!
One of the best parts about this sweet and refreshing salad is the ease of making it. Indeed, you can whip Ambrosia up in only 10 minutes with a few preps. Read on for more surprises!
Step 1: Draining Mandarin Oranges and Pineapples
Use a colander to drain your canned fruit. Do not skip this step; otherwise, your fruit salad will end up watery.
Step 2: Mixing Ingredients
Simply put, even the 5-year-old kid can do it. All you need are ingredients and a big bowl, then toss everything in it. Gently stir them so the flavors of all components can blend.
Step 3: Refrigerating The Salad
You should cover the salad bowl with plastic wrap before placing it in the fridge. Refrigerating your food for at least 2 hours (or overnight is even better) so the flavors can mingle well. That’s why this is an ideal make-ahead salad recipe.
Though it is an extremely straightforward recipe as there is no cooking involvement, you should not overlook these tricks:
- The most important note here is draining canned fruits. The excess liquid will break down the cream and Cool Whip, and they will be soggy at the end.
- Stir the ingredients gently. If not, you might tear the fruit apart so the liquid inside them will be released, making the salad more watery.
- Make it ahead of time and allow the ingredients’ flavor to blend well before consuming for the best result. Moreover, the marshmallow can be softened as well. That’s why you should keep the fruit salad in the fridge for at least 2 hours in advance.
- If you want to garnish it with maraschino cherries, you should only add it right before serving. Otherwise, the cream might turn red. And do not forget to rinse and drain cherries well.
- In case nuts are your favorite food, you can add them to Ambrosia. But it would be better to toast them in a pan beforehand for the best flavor.
- Do not leave your salad sitting out on the counter for more than 2 hours because the cream can melt.
This fruity salad is a wonderful side dish to enjoy along with your meals. There are no limited dishes to pair with Ambrosia, such as Mac and Cheese, grilled or baked meat, etc. Of course, you can enjoy it as a dessert after a heavy meal as well.
The salad can last well for up to 3 days in the fridge, as long as you store them in an airtight food container. Therefore, you can make them ahead of time.
I do not recommend you freeze this dish because the fruits will be watery and break the creamy dressing when defrosted. But if you really need to do it, you should store it in a freezer-safe container and wrap it carefully with double layers of plastic wrap.
For the best result, you should consume your frozen Ambrosia in 2 to 3 months. But once again, this one is not the best solution.
As “the food of Greek gods”, the Ambrosia fruit salad recipe is an incredible combination of fruits, coconut, and cream to make your party more unforgettable. It is also an ideal make-ahead idea with minimal preparation and ingredients.
Have you tried this salad recipe? If yes, please share your experience and how much you like your food in the comment part. And if you love this recipe, please give me a thumbs-up.
Finally, I do hope you have more options to prepare a hassle-free side dish (or dessert) after trying this idea. See you in the next post with more awesome recipes.
Table of Contents
- Ambrosia – The Specialty Of Southern United States
- Ambrosia Variations With Other Ingredients
- How To Make Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Several Tips For The Ultimate Ambrosia
- Serving Suggestions
- How Long Can I Keep Ambrosia In The Fridge?
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad Recipe
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad Recipe
- You Are All Set To Impress Others With Ambrosia!